Music Box Bath
A Modern Bath with Old World Charm
Built in the 1880s, this Afton, MN bath had stood the test of time with intricate design elements and quality construction. We set out to update this bathroom with new features that would make it more comfortable and functional, without sacrificing the features that made it worth preserving for well over a century.
Retaining the original millwork and trim was a top priority for our team during the project. While the cozy ambiance would remain intact, we added a stylish shower, a heated floor, a new skylight and plenty of storage space for cosmetics and toiletries. These improvements enhanced the original character of the bath, all while managing to make the room feel more spacious than before.
- We preserved much of the bath’s original millwork, along with a china lav top.
- New millwork additions included a century-old, delicately carved walnut cabinet doors that the homeowner purchased in Northern France.
- Inset styled cabinet with a patina finish that matches the surrounding woodwork.
Small Touches Throughout
- Left of the new shower is a space that was reserved for a pullout cabinet. It provides ample space for cosmetics and toiletries.
- Antique mirrored inserts coordinate beautifully with the recessed medicine cabinet and Swarovski sconces.
- Luxurious features include a heated towel bar, frameless-glass shower door, polished nickel fixtures, motorized skylight and a heated floor.
A Glimpse Into the Past
Today’s homeowners have different expectations than those of the 19th century, so we seamlessly integrated modern features into the space’s existing elegant ambiance. From the birds found on the Toile wallpaper to the cabinet door carvings, and even in the antique pull on a pocket door, every detail adds to a sense of luxury. It’s easy to see why the homeowners take great pride in the character of this bathroom transformation.
Start Planning Your Project
Reach out to our team to see how we can make your home renovation a reality.