Remodeling your home is a big deal. It’s not a small decision to make, which is why it’s important for homeowners to have all their questions answered before they commit.
We’ve answered common questions about when people typically start looking at remodels, how often it’s recommended to make such big changes and the most impactful benefits below.
How long should you live in a house before remodeling?
It’s recommended that you live in your home for at least six months before committing to any remodeling project. You need time to unpack and settle into your new space so you know what works for you — and what doesn’t — before making major changes.
What are common signs it’s time for a remodel?
If you’ve been in your new home for a while now but aren’t sure if it’s time to commit to the remodeling projects you’ve been daydreaming about, that’s okay! We can help sway you one way or another by listing the most common signs it’s time for a remodel:
- You’re outgrowing your space. Sometimes you don’t know how much space you need until you’ve had a chance to spread out. Maybe your family is growing, maybe your parents are moving in. Whatever the reason, feeling cramped in their existing space is one of the #1 reasons homeowners come to us for our luxury remodeling services.
- You really, really love your home. It might not make sense to say that loving your home is a sign to change it, but hear us out: if you love your home, you want it to be the best it can be. If you know you want to stay in a space long term, that’s the perfect chance to look for and find the parts that you can make even better.
- There are problems with how your home functions. If your roof is leaking, your cabinets are out of date or your floors are feeling malleable underfoot, a change is needed. Practical home updates may not feel as glamorous, but nothing is stopping you from turning a necessary flooring update into the full-service kitchen remodel upgrade you’ve been wanting.
How often is it recommended to remodel your home?
How often you remodel your home will depend on you: your needs, your family, your space and your budget. Some people might remodel once and, getting exactly what they needed, be done. Some people might want to make changes incrementally, remodeling room by room over the course of multiple years.
That said, if you’re looking at remodeling only for the sake of keeping up with the latest practical developments (think electrical and heating), then it’s recommended to re-evaluate your needs once per decade and make major changes every 15 years or so.
What are the main benefits of remodeling over moving?
There’s no denying the biggest benefit of a remodel: you’ll get exactly what you want. No matter where you move, unless you designed it yourself there will never be a home that’s exactly the way you want. Remodeling gives you a chance to express yourself completely within any space you’re in. Other benefits include:
- It allows you to build equity. There are immediate up-front costs involved with any remodel, but those costs will translate over time into an increased home value.
- Remodeling doesn’t uproot your life. If you have kids in school, you know how upset they’d be to have to change districts and miss their friends. Remodeling allows you to make changes without losing access to the community you’re already a part of.
Whether you’re interested in a big change right now or still considering how long you should live in your house before remodeling, Ispiri can help: all you have to do is get in touch with our team!